Protecting Company’s Intellectual Property Rights
Copyright is a form of Intellectual Property, applicable to any expressed representation of a creative work. A copyright is a form of legal protection provided by the laws of the United States to authors of “original works of authorship.” This includes literary, dramatic, musical, artistic and certain other creative works. Materials that are not protected by copyright are available for use by anyone without the author’s consent. The holder of a copyright can prevent others from copying, performing or otherwise using the copyrighted work without his or her consent.
Copyrights may be registered with the federal government to receive the highest protection possible. While registration is voluntary, you will have to register, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. A business attorney can assist with this task.
Our copyright services include:
- Identifying works in which you own copyright
- Registering your copyright
- Protecting your copyright against infringers
- Licensing your copyrighted works to others for creative or commercial purposes
What Kinds of Work Can Be Protected by Copyright?
The various types of authorship or creative expression that can be protected are:
- Architectural works (e.g. Sydney Opera House by Danish architect Jørn Utzon)
- Computer programs (e.g. Photoshop by Adobe Systems Incorporated)
- Graphic, pictorial and sculptural works (e.g. the painting Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci)
- Literary, musical and dramatic works (e.g. Phantom of the Opera)
- Motion pictures and other audiovisual works (e.g. the movie The Matrix by The Wachowski Brothers)
- Sound recordings (e.g. the song on a CD “Eve of Destruction” by Barry McGuire of Buffalo Springfield )
A trademark is any word, name, symbol, or design, or any combination thereof, used in commerce to identify and distinguish the goods of one manufacturer or seller from those of another and to indicate the source of the goods or services. When affixed to goods, it is called a trademark. When affixed to services, it is called a service mark. A trademark mark may be located on a package, a label, a voucher or on the product itself. For the sake of corporate identity trademarks are also being displayed on company buildings. State and federal statues protect both trademarks and service marks in a special area of law called trademark law.
Trademarks can be owned, but also licensed. Many toy suppliers are licensees of the trademark owners.
- A registered trademark – is indicated by the symbol ®.
- An unregistered trademark – is indicated by the symbol TM.
- A service mark – is indicated by the symbol SM.
Our trademark services include:
- Trademark registration applications
- Trademark maintenance and renewal
- Trademark licensing agreements
- Trademark opposition matters and cancellation of others’ trademarks in the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Trademark searches
- Trademark Infringement litigation
Our Orange County Intellectual Property Lawyers are ready to consult with individuals, professionals, and companies of all sizes regarding such matters as:
- Advertising practices
- Copyright, trademark and Domain Name (URL) protection
- Disputes over fair use, image or royalties issues
- Licensing agreements
- Intellectual property aspects of e-commerce and Internet marketing
- Intellectual property issues when buying or selling a business
- Intellectual property considerations in employment agreements & severance negotiations
- Trade secrets, confidentiality & nondisclosure issues
Whether your business is located in Orange County, Los Angeles, or Riverside, we can provide you with the affordable legal services you require to keep your business protected and thriving.
Call Us for a Free Phone or Office Consultation
Call Orange County Business Lawyers for a free phone or office consultation. We are dedicated to helping Orange County business owners make educated, informed decisions about their business endeavors, opportunities and troubles that invariably come knocking —at some point— on every business owner’s door. Call us at (888) 866-3620 for an on the spot phone consultation or an appointment to confidentially review your situation.